I need your support to save my Movember mustache.
Why am I growing a mustache? Because it’s Movember and during Movember men across the country grow silly mustaches (a.k.a “Mo’s”) to raise money and awareness about prostate cancer and other cancers affecting men.
Since 2004, the Movember campaign has raised $174 million worldwide and have put the funds towards their strategic goals of suvivorship, awareness and education about the cancer risks men face, and prostate cancer research. In the United States alone last year, Movember donated over $5 million directly the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG.
But why do we care about prostate cancer?
Prostate Cancer Facts:
- The National Cancer Institute estimates that nearly 34,000 men will die from prostate cancer in 2011.
- Because the cancer grows slowly, and treatments can have such serious side effects, the best treatment option is often to do nothing.
We need to have better options for prostate cancer than doing nothing. And that’s the purpose of Movember! To grow a ridiculous mustache that makes people take notice so we can not only raise awareness about prostate and other male cancers, but also raise money to support research and eventually find the right answers.
And that’s where I need your help! I agreed to grow a mustache for the month of November and it looks ridiculous. As a result, my lady friend pledged $50 just to get me to shave before the end of the month.
But I got her to agree that if I could raise twice that by Friday, November 11, the mustache lives on all through the month of Movember.
I hear you asking, “What’s in it for me?” First, my everlasting gratitude; something that normally can only be bought with cold hard cash or beer. For a limited time only, it can be purchased with a charitable donation!
But wait, there’s more! All my donors will receive exclusive photos via email of me and my mustache doing ridiculous things like:
- Walking around in public looking like a fool because the damn thing is so sparse.
- Standing in front of the mirror looking sad and wishing we had an old timey mustache to wax and curl.
- Cheering for the Syracuse basketball team.
Also, if that’s enough I’ll just let you come over and point and laugh at me.
So donate to my Movembe campaign. Help a Mo Brother out while supporting prostate cancer research.
* – bowling photos cannot be guaranteed